[at-l] OT security - was Cost of a thru-hike?

Yeah right! Maybe that's why the terrorists flew commercial jets (with a business reason for flying) into the WTC instead of walking through the door with bombs a backpack. "Check those grungy thru-hikers carrying all their belongings on their backs men but don't worry about the trucks. If a terrorist does get through in a commercial truck and blows the place up we'll be able to trace who did it." What's that old adage about closing the barn door?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: RoksnRoots@aol.com
  To: wdlists@optonline.net
  Cc: AT-L@Backcountry.net
  Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 8:02 PM
  Subject: Re: [at-l] Cost of a thru-hike?

  In a message dated 7/15/2003 5:31:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wdlists@optonline.net writes:

    However when the security alert is set to Orange you may be subject to
    search of your backpack. Only backpackers and box trucks are subject - no
    cars - no semi's - no gasoline/propane trucks. If anyone figures out what
    security mentality justifies this policy, please let me know.

           A propane truck belongs to a company with a traceable address and business reason for crossing.

         A backpack arrives untraced, unregistered, untagged, unplated, unlicensed - and with just enough space for a brief case nuclear device that would leave a sparkling hole in the space that used to contain the bridge...