[at-l] Cost of a thru-hike?

In a message dated 7/15/2003 5:31:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wdlists@optonline.net writes:

> However when the security alert is set to Orange you may be subject to
> search of your backpack. Only backpackers and box trucks are subject - no
> cars - no semi's - no gasoline/propane trucks. If anyone figures out what
> security mentality justifies this policy, please let me know.

         A propane truck belongs to a company with a traceable address and
business reason for crossing.

       A backpack arrives untraced, unregistered, untagged, unplated,
unlicensed - and with just enough space for a brief case nuclear device that would
leave a sparkling hole in the space that used to contain the bridge...