Coffee on the trail (was) RE: [at-l] RE: Another Q

  A trick my father in law taught me... just as a cup of cold water to the pot and it settles the grounds quite nicely... Not sure how it works, but it does.

Spraky!

-----Original Message-----
From: William Neal [mailto:nealb@midlandstech.edu]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 8:47
To: 'Jim and/or Ginny Owen'; AT-L List (E-mail)
Subject: Coffee on the trail (was) RE: [at-l] RE: Another Q

The best coffee is boiled coffee.  Just boil the coffee in a pot.  Add
eggshell or egg to get the grounds to settle.  Or filter through a clean
hankerchief or bandana. Probably one you reserve for that.  Or just let the
grounds settle and then pour from the top.

Then there are "baskets" you can get for coffee.  Usually light enough for a
backpacker.  And even "filter" baskets that sit on the top of a cup or pot.

Someone suggested getting an old filter basket from a small coffee maker.
Then getting some some filters: Usually 4 cup filters.  Then slowly pour
boiling water over the coffee in the filter.

But outside of boiled coffee, french presses work best.  And there are some
that are meant for backpackers and are practically unbreakable.  At least
they don't seem to be made out of glass like the ones you usually find in
stores.  And french presses work great with loose tea if you are a tea
addict.  And many "gourmets" say that french presses make the best coffee.

Plus you can get backpacking espresso makers.

All are better than instant coffee.

One last tip: Put your sugar and powdered milk in first.  Stir the powder
together.  Pour coffee on top and stir vigorously.  I pour from a height and
slowly redurce as the cup fills.  This seems to add more air and whip the
ingredients somewhat.  I picked this last part up from a gourmet cookbook.
Apparently hot liquids drive the air out and pouring from a height adds air
back.  And it is the air that gives it flavor: Actually air carries the
flavor.  So the more air, the more flavor.

William, The Drinking Turtle