[at-l] Backpack? Gregory Whitney?

David Jessop wrote:
>I am new on this list and am considering thru-hiking the trail northbound
>in March 04. I have done quite a bit of hiking but little overnight
>backpacking. Furthermore, when I've backpacked, I've used friends' packs.
>I am planning on a 5-day solo trip in August as a trial run for the AT. I
>was at REI this weekend looking at packs. I checked out the Gregory
>Whitney which I liked a lot. What concerns me, other than its exorbitant
>cost, is the fact that it is almost eight pounds and 6000 cubic inches. In
>your experience thru-hiking, do I really need a 6000 cubic inch pack? What
>would you recommend as the best size? I like the features it has such as
>the contoured suspension system, easily accessible water bottle holder,
>multiple external pockets. Thoughts? Other packs you would recommend?

David -
First - you don't "need" a 6000 cube pack.
Second - you don't "want" an 8# pack.
Third - (as you noted) you don't need or want something that expensive.

Not for a thruhike on "any" long trail.

On the AT I used a cheap (less than $100) Camp Trails external frame pack.
It did just what I wanted. It carried my gear without breaking or even
seriously injuring any vital body parts.

For the CDT, I used a Gregory Reality (5# internal frame and $210 at the
time). It did just what I wanted.  And it did it well enough that I used the
same pack on the PCT.  And well enough that my wife also used one on the
PCT.  She's still using her Reality - mine is hanging on the wall in the
gear room.  It's really tired after being hauled around for over 7,000
miles. <G>

Now I have a ULA P2 (40 oz, internal frame, less than $200).  Used it in the
Beartooths last year, used it in the rain for Memorial day, used it in the
heat and humidity last weekend.  It does what I want it to do.  And I'll use
it when we go back to walk the CDT again 1000 days from now.  Ginny says
she'll be using one too.

There are other alternatives - Ron Moak (Six Moon Designs -
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ ) makes a nice pack (19 oz, $90).  I tried it
at the Gathering last year.  A lot of people love their GVP packs.  Lynne
Whelden  (http://www.lwgear.com/) makes an even lighter pack ( 1#, $79) - as
does Ray Jardine's Golite brand.

The pack you "need" to carry is entirely dependent on your "comfort" level
and the weight of your gear. And your gear weight is dependent on your
personal fear level.  I'll probably end up explaining that later -  I'm sure
someone here will squawk about that concept.

What you "want" to carry is another matter.  Many people have carried the 8
or 9# packs - successfully.  They're usually under the age of 25.  A lot
more  people have carried the 8 or 9# packs unsuccessfully.  As one gets
older, one usually gets "smarter" (also known as "too tired").  I know the
big packs are apparently more comfortable - while you're in the store.  I
know that because I've tried them on.  With weight.  I also know that no
matter how comfortable they are either in the store or on the trail - they
still weigh 8#.  And you still have to carry that excess weight up all those
hills.  There IS a price for comfort.

I also know that a 6000 cube pack is an invitation to overload your back by
overloading the pack.  Old Chinese (?) proverb - if you carry a small pack,
you'll fill it - if you carry a large pack, you'll fill it.  How much excess
weight do you want to carry?

Just for drill, Ginny and I figured that our base weight for our three day
backpack trip last weekend was 16-17# each.  That doesn't include food and
water.  And it was for a warm weather trip.  But it does include more
clothing than we needed or wanted.

These days, if your "dry" pack weight for a long distance hike is over 20#,
then you're not paying attention, you ARE paying too much ($), and you ARE
making your hike a lot harder than necessary.  But that would be YOUR
decision, not mine.  That's part of HYOH - making your own decisions and
living with the consequences.

I'd suggest that you go read the Thruhiking Papers - they're old, but they
still apply ----   http://trailwise.circumtech.com/
And I WILL be doing some rewriting on them soon.

Walk softly,
Jim