[at-l] Backpack? Gregory Whitney?

RENT!!!  A lot of places will rent equipment.  You just have to find them.
Your backpack is as personal as your style of hiking.

I bought a highly compartmentalized backpack.  Ended up uncompartmentalizing
it: I did such things as tying on my sleeping bag.  Next major hike I intend
to lean towards open bags because it drives me crazy putting my "x" in my
"A" pocket.  Yesterday "x" worked in "A", but tomorrow, "q" might work
better in "A".  So I probably will compartmentilize in seperate sturdy bags
and boxes.

Also, I need lots of space.  First I am a reader and will not leave home my
books.  And I like to have one nice outfit for town: I hate to offend the
people whose town, church, library, etc. that I am visiting.  Plus, I use to
carry a big 35mm camera with a tele-lens and lots of film.  So I go for the
big boys and girls of backpacks.

But, some people love compartments.  And some love small compact bags.

One guy I met hiked the AT.  His bag was an old Army rucksack with stuff
tied to it and three old GI blankets tied to the top.

Again, rent and see how you like it.  Unless you are rich it's hard to
change your mind once you've bought it.

William, The Turtle