[at-l] options for the future of the AT

>"... I would suggest that you hike where you want, enjoy the trip and don't
>worry about recognition." thinks the Sauntering one.

I couldn't agree more. The recognition that counts is an internal recognition.
When one Memorial Day my boys and I climbed Moody Mountain and thus completed
all of the trail in Maine, it felt nice to have finally achieved an eight-year
goal.

I don't expect to ever have the same experience of the entire AT, but it truly
did feel good to finally reach the summit of Katahdin on a blustery, mid-October
day in 1993. I've filled in many of the major gaps since then, but my goal from
the beginning had been to spend a Spring, Summer and Fall, exploring these
Appalachian Mountains. Most of the time I followed the trail, but I wandered
through to broad a corridor to claim a 2,000-miler patch.

Each of us should hike our own hikes -- and incidentally, choose our own trail
websites. Trailplace at it's peak truly was the best internet source of trail
information, I have seen. Unfortunately, it got bogged down in purism issues and
now is a niche site. What information that is offered is almost invariably sound
information. But it has lost its broad user base for reasons that don't need
repeating.

Weary