[at-l] options for the future of the AT

Continuing the thinking process of the Cumberland Trail and its application to the AT pull up in the mind the Alleghany and Tuscarora Trails, and also the 800+ miles in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Now that you have all those trails in mind and maybe many more like the SHT, the IAT, the Buckeye and so on consider that we as humans, as Americans, as hikers will eventually 'love' the Appalachian Trail to death or eventually be granted a quota or limit system as is found on the Great Walks of New Zealand.....Many hikers are working toward their 2000 miler status/award and others are classic thru-hikers. Wouldnt it be wise and in great foresite for the ATC to grant thru-hiker status for a hiker who went through the Smokies via another route still in the park just not necessarily on the AT or another hiker who chose to parrelel the AT on the Tuscarora....The point is that trails could be built that mirror the AT, some already exist, for those just wanting 2000 miler status the
 Cumberland, the SHT, etc. should count....all in an effort to get future-and current-pressure off the AT. A side benefit would obviously be to get people involved in hiking in other areas-some in their own backyards (ironically I live 2.5 miles from Roan High Knob!).
The Appalachian Trail is surely loved by all who post at the AT-l, I am curious about your views on this.
Medicine Man