[at-l] who, where, & why

Good idea, RockDancer. Thanks.
~
I write from my second floor living room, with a laptop set on the coffee
table. I can watch the birds and my kids from my favorite window. I sit next to a
'live' bookcase which holds books I'm currently reading, books and gadgets to
help with the kid's homework and add to their schooling, maps and guides for
my next hike, plants I'm starting, and two old cats. When I broke my back, I
spent most of six months right here. The walls have framed antique maps, school
pictures, and the kids honor roll certificates. There are five remotes, a
diet pepsi can (on a coaster, dear), a 1942 guide to Katahdin, and a genealogy
chart next to the laptop.
- Trail name ~ TJ, but I answer to "Teej" too
- Hiking done ~ over 1/2 the AT with many sections hiked more than once in
different directions and seasons, most every major trail in VT, NH and Maine,
tourist hiking in the Rockies, Canada, and most of the National Parks in the
West
- Through-hiking or Sectioning? I have no plans to finish every AT section
I'm missing right now. So I guess I'm through sectioning.
- Hiking now ~ I like bushwhacking in Baxter State Park and the Allagash, and
hiking against the flow of thruhikers on the AT in ME, NH, and VT. I like it
up here.
- Hiking to do ~ the IAT in Canada, middle 1/3 of the Long Trail this July to
complete it as a section hike, Olympia National Park, Scotland
- AT 'Bug' caught ~ at 10 or 11, my third or fourth time on top of Katahdin,
when I was looking toward Georgia with my hand on the sign wondering if
someone 2000 miles away was looking toward Maine wondering if...
- Single/Married ~ Married to my best friend
- How long ~ 21 years in this Oct
- Age ~ 39 (In Moose Years), it's not the age anyway, it's the mileage
- Do you want/have children ~ Yes! Mikey, Katie, and Billy; ages 9 to 13
- Color ~ That pink-purple-orange pastel kinda color when the alpine glow is
on the high peaks
- Place to go ~ The deep dark woods, where the Ents still live
- Movie ~ Could be 'Searching for Bobby Fischer', 'Robin Hood' with Errol
Flynn, 'Mary Queen of Scots' with Katharine Hepburn, 'Heidi', 'Things
Change', 'The Nightmare before Christmas', 'Lilo & Stitch', 'Midsummer
Night's Dream', 'The Princess Bride', 'Stagecoach'- the 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon'
triolgy-'The Searchers'-all with John Wayne, 'Casablanca', 'The Maltese
Falcon', most all
early 'big production' musicals, and almost all Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire
musicals
- Location ~ On the Mass/NH border
- City ~ Aberdeen Scotland, Portland Maine, Ouray Colorado, Quebec City
- TV ~ PBS, AMC, Weather Channel, History Channel, Star Gate
- Web site ~ eBay, PBS, Ancestry.com
- Music ~ from Cole Porter to the Dead, Woody and Arlo Guthrie, Carol King,
Billie Holiday, Paul Simon, Jane Monheit, and Diana Krall
- Non-AT Books ~ (to make the list shorter)  Hemingway, Jack London, Tolkien,
Daniel Defoe, Patrick O'Brian, Edward Abbey, Charles Dickens, Nathaniel
Hawthone, the Dalai Lama, Tony Hillerman, Kipling, Mark Twain, Noam Chomsky,
Stephen Ambrose, Sir Walter Scott, Thoreau, Apsley Cherry-Garrard, Kenneth Roberts,
Schopenhauer, JK Rowling, Madeline L'Engle, David McCullough, Sir Winston
Churchill, Ursula LeGuin.
- Family Vacation ~ Take the kids to Katahdin 2 or three times a year, Summer

place in Ocean Park, Maine, Disney World every other Spring
- Personal Vacation ~ backpacking in Northern New England
- Where did you live most your life ~ Kennebunk Maine
- Memorable childhood memory ~ Wandering in the woods, learning to sail,
splitting cord wood all summer
- Employment ~ Retired from Bell Labs/Lucent Technologies
- Enjoyment ~ Backpacking, coaching youth basketball, volunteering, playing
in an 'over-the-hill' baseball league, dawn swims in the Gulf of Maine, and
tracking down early AT writings

Teej