[at-l] Violence at 4 Pines Hostel.

First of all, I'm back, but only for this particular thread (I've been nosing
around in the archives).

Secondly, even though I work for one of the most powerful criminal defense
firms in Florida, I agree with Sly on this subject as well.  Our primary clients
are murderers, rapists and child molesters.  However, our job is to defend
these people, and they are entitled to a defense, regardless of how guilty they
are. However, I have seen so many cases involving domestic violence, where the
woman attacked is cajoled (by the wife, girlfriend, whomever) into signing a
waiver of prosecution.  That doesn't necessarily mean that the State can't go
forward with the case, it just means the State has very little to go on
without a witness/victim.  I applaud Popsicle for agreeing to return from Hawaii to
prosecute this man.  She may even have to return on several occasions for
depositions from both sides, as well as the trial itself. Trials are often
delayed, and she could be put on "stand by" again and again, and then return for the
actual trial at a moment's notice.  This, of course, is paid for by the State,
including accommodations. But, it could disrupt her personal schedule, she
should could lose wages from missing work, etc.  Some people don't want to go
through the hassle of being "harassed" by the defense attorney.  And going
through the actual trial itself is essentially reliving the nightmare.  After all
that, depending on the formal charges against this man, he is most likely going
to face minimal jail time, even with prior convictions.  Unfortunately, He
will probably do a year in the county jail, a year of probation following jail,
anger management classes, alcohol treatment, fines and community service.
And, if the man completes all the special conditions of said probation within six
months, he could apply for early termination. I'm basing this on Florida law,
which hands down the harshest of judgments.

I also want to add that my job, which I really DO like, (just not for the
rest of my life) does not mean that I'm a criminal advocate.  Our clients, 90% of
which are guilty as hell, do get their comeuppance.  Additionally, women
beaters aren't very popular in jail, so he may well get the ass-kicking he
deserves.

OK, I couldn't help adding my two cents.  When am I ever going to learn to
shut the F up?

JustVisitingGoVols