[at-l] Violence on the Appalachian Trail

In a message dated 6/14/03 7:36:10 AM, Bror8588@aol.com writes:

> The number of incidents on the AT are small, yet when they happen an
> alarmed community gets concerned. ?We all want a safe trail. ?Perhaps some stiff
> penalties for infringement of the "rules of the AT" need to be published and
> enforced.
>
> What do you think?

        ***    If aware hikers see a "Rat Pack" type situation working up the
Trail perhaps the situation could be mitigated by having an ATC ridge runner
ranger available.

         Nobody wants to be an informing snitch turning people in
unnecessarily, but on the other hand this situation proved to be one worth taking action
on. The clue here was the pile of beer cans these people left at each
campsite.

        If hikers are conscious of a Community need to spruce up conduct on
the Trail when this kind of obvious situation occurs the runner could be
notified. In this case the runner could catch up with the offending hikers and
evaluate if they constitute enough of a threat as to be a Trail menace. This would
be a good idea because it would be a go between that would not induce as much
guilt as calling in the troops when it's already too late.

         I for one used to confront people who I found littering at
Fingerboard shelter when I maintained. I figured the first fair line of defense was to
inform and educate users that the place was not a free for all and open place
for anything goes and that people cared about the place and expected certain
conduct. Not a heavy rap, but a direct mention that the large pile of garbage
around them they intended to leave wasn't going to go unnoticed. I tried to
relate what the Trail was about and that volunteers did a lot to keep it that way
and any cooperation would be appreciated. The runner could do the same and
tell them straight off their town behavior and beer can littering was going to
come to a head soon with AT authorities and that action would be taken. A
notice at hostels and facilities wouldn't hurt either...

         It's hard to reach these types of hikers because they don't
originate from within Trail circles or attend Trail forums. It's also kind of hard to
get Trail-connected facility owners to be watch dogs and educators. I guess if
you made clear that gentlemanly behavior was expected amongst hikers you
would pretty much be laughed off. So maybe the spot-troubleshooter runner/ranger
would be a good idea...

        Maybe somebody could have the nerve to bring this up at Trail Days...