[at-l] Violence on the Appalachian Trail

The Psychiatric Community uses the Diagnostic Statistical Manual (presently #
IV) as the tool to define and recognize all types of mental illness.  Someone
pointed out that the illnesses are within a range of severity and some are
progressive as time goes by without treatment.  In other words they get worse
with time though in some instances they may go into remission after treatment.
I think it is also possible that people exhibit periodic illness due to
stress, weather variances, emotional upsets (a loss of a job, a breakup in a
relationship, sexual activity when moral value standards are transgressed, physical
distress, and anything that may upset the status quo of an individual, etc.).
These may have a gentle onset or they may be triggered by a climactic event.
Each individual exhibits his or her own pattern (though it may fall within a
category that others also experience).

An examination of mental illness shows that it is a broad category including
the severe persistent illnesses of Major Depression, Bi-Polar Disorder,
Schizophrenias (a variety of 5-7 diagnoses), and a group of various Personality
Disorders. These illnesses are able to be treated with medication but if
medication stops there may be a gradual exhibition of symptoms which should be
recognized by the individual or close friends and family.  If someone is in treatment
for a mental illness a hike in the woods for any length of time should be
discussed with his or her physician (psychiatrist) and a plan should be made to
deal with emergencies such as loss of medication or onset of stress.

Another factor to consider is that people exhibit aspects of mental illness
on a continuum.  This is apparent in the Personality Disorder section.  The key
to understanding this is in the word "disorder."  An airplane pilot may be a
bit obsessive compulsive and we would want him or her to be that way but if it
was at the point of interfering with normal functioning in life then it no
longer is an asset and requires treatment.

The Addiction Disorders are listed in the DSM and become extremely dangerous
when combined with the PDs or even with the severely persistent.  Some
medication becomes dangerous when combined with alcohol or may be blunted in
effectiveness when combined with other drugs.

Some people who are addicted to alcohol may be able to abstain for long
periods with the assistance of medication or support groups such as Alcoholics A
nonymous and then when Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired, they may not be able to
resist the temptation to imbibe if a drink is offered and then lose all
resistance and go on a binge of destruction.  An innocent non-alcoholic may just be
exhibiting good hospitality and friendliness, not knowing of the person's
illness, and set an addicted person on a downward spiral.  However, this does not
excuse the addict from responsibility.  A decision made, when sober, is the
responsibility of the alcoholic.
Each person is responsible for knowing their trigger points.

In all cases responsibility lies with the individual who has a mental illness
and/or addiction.

Punishment and/treatment should be offered only by competent authority such
as law enforcement or medically trained people.  "Ass kicking" does not solve
the problem.  It could exacerbate the problem dramatically if a "lucky punch"
thrown in a fight with another hiker put that hiker in danger.  We tough guys
like to think that we can handle any situation and it is true that sometimes we
need to get involved (for example, if a person was in danger), but if at all
possible, it is better for properly trained people to handle the situation.

The number of incidents on the AT are small, yet when they happen an alarmed
community gets concerned.  We all want a safe trail.  Perhaps some stiff
penalties for infringement of the "rules of the AT" need to be published and
enforced.

What do you think?

Skylander Jack