[at-l] Kennebec etc.

> Thank you, he is a trail ranger assigned to harpers ferry,
> not a park ranger.  The National park service has many more
> acres under its control than just national parks.  They
> cannot patrol it all.  It would have been easier for you to
> call the FBI asthey have jurisdiction on all federal lands.
>
> Grey Owl

Bob Gray is the NPS ranger assigned to the AT Park Office in Harpers Ferry.
He is the park ranger for the AT. However as I and others have pointed out,
any law enforcement office whose jurisdiction includes the land occupied by
the AT no matter who ones it, can enforce the laws (and they do), e.g. we
have had NYS DEC rangers arrest ATV riders on the AT. All sorts of law
enforcement officers have been involved for crimes like murders on the AT,
from FBI to local sherrifs. There are several laws (most federal laws that
will be prosecuted in federal court) that usually Bob gets involved in,
namely trespass cases like timber theft on dumping. But again many other are
usually involved as well doing investigative work, etc.

For serious crimes, it is almost always the most local police that show up
first and start the process. There is nothing special about federally owned
land (other than some additional laws). They are just a land owner and
expect the same enforcement as you would expect if you owned the land.

---