[at-l] Kennebec etc.

The Applachain Trail is not a National Park but one of seven
(?) National Trails created by the National Trails System Act
of 1968.  The Text of the full act can be found at:

http://www.nps.gov/nts/legislation.html

There are also a number of documents listed in the federal
register (harder to locate) as well as the budget process.

The ATC Finacial statement for 2001 can be found at:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pdfs/ATC_Audit_2001.pdf

Note that the federal Government only gave the ATC $922,049.
We do not have the breakdown by the agency but in the
dispersement of funds one finds

Department of interior   $826,877
USDA                      $26,000

It is apparent that most of the funds come from the
Department of Interior.  The total Federal Funding makes up
slightly more than 25% of the ATC funding.

The Appalachian Mountain Club's revenue was over $14 milliom
for 2002. (http://www.outdoors.org/donations/donations-
annualreport.pdf)  Well I know everyone wants to rant and
rave about the AMC but they do maintain a hell of a lot of
the AT without taking a lot of ATC money.

Cheers,

Grey Owl