[at-l] Kennebec etc.

> The Applachain Trail is not a National Park but one of seven
> (?) National Trails created by the National Trails System Act
> of 1968.  The Text of the full act can be found at:

False again. It does not work to read old legislation and assume that things
have not changed since then. New National Trails are added occassionally.
Pam Underhill is every bit as much a Park Superintendent as say the
Superintendent of Yellowstone. It is the only one of the National Scenic
Trails that is a unit of the park system as far as I know.

>Note that the federal Government only gave the ATC $922,049.
>We do not have the breakdown by the agency but in the
>dispersement of funds one finds

>Department of interior   $826,877
>USDA                      $26,000

The DOI money is NPS. The USDA money is USFS. But the USFS money is
underreported as most of it goes direct to clubs instead of passing through
NPS or ATC. Someone at the ATC/NPS Strategic planning conference in Nov.
asked essentially that question and the USFS people said that there was
significant amounts of money but their budgeting system did not report it in
any way where you could talley it up without going back and finding all the
pieces forest by forest.

>Well I know everyone wants to rant and
>rave about the AMC but they do maintain a hell of a lot of
>the AT without taking a lot of ATC money.

And so do essentially all the other clubs. All of the clubs, including AMC,
apply to ATC for grants to clubs money. Other projects are funded more
directly with repair/rehab money from NPS. Much more of the "cost" is
somewhat hidden because it is NPS or ATC staff providing services/advice. I
am sure ATC would love to see a large contribution from clubs to help cover
the cost of services provided. A few contribute but not very many or very
much. I would bet that PATC has the best record.

AMC (Joy Street) maintains about 120 miles, PATC about 144, NYNJTC about
165, and MATC about 266.
AMC Bershire and AMC CT are independent of Joy Street as far as AT
maintenance. Most AMC AT maintenance is really maintaining whatever AMC
trail the AT happens to be on in the Whites.

---