[at-l] Where germs live

There is no real problem with any of the chemical treatments,
other than the lack of efficacy demonstrated with chlorine /
bleach. Biofilms have been a significant problem with many
filters, especially inline filters. The design of some allow
boiling the filter to reduce blockage by the film. I'd not
consider this with the bulk of paper filters, which do not use
chemical "backups" unless marketed as water purifiers. I'd be a
bit concerned about the stability of paper filters recurrently
exposed to bleaching agents.

Hence, one might consider scalding bottles and other equipment
from time to time, assuming you felt that the time and fuel
costs were reasonable. There is still idea that other hygiene
practices have more direct benefit to the hiker and companions.

Sanitation is only relative in the backcountry.

OrangeBug