[at-l] Where germs live

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 10:01, Platy Hiker wrote:
> I guess the one useful thing we can get out of the article is that
> hikers should regularly give water bottles a good cleaning.  AT
> thru-hikers can make that chore easier by taking advantage of the
> plentiful hot-water supply available during town-stops.

I suspect that using a chemical disinfectant such as Aqua Mira, iodine,
or even chlorine once every day or so IN ADDITION to filtering would be
effective in preventing a biofilm buildup.  One wouldn't use the
chemical stuff all the time... just once a day in camp.

I have no evidence to back that up, by the way... it's just
speculation.  It would be convenient though, since there is time in
camp, and wouldn't carry a weight penalty since most filter users carry
some chemical stuff as a backup anyway.

-- Jim