[at-l] Fiftieth Anniversary of Hillary On Everest

And let's not forget Tenzing Norgay who actually carried the gear.  His
grandson has an op-ed piece in the NYT today.

from...  http://tinyurl.com/d06d

<snip>
Still, I have been lucky. I have managed to hold on to both worlds. I
have reached the summit of Everest twice but have never had to carry
75-pound porter loads as my grandfather and so many other Sherpas did.
In fact, in 1993, I was the first Sherpa to lead an international
climbing team (an expedition in which Western climbers carried their own
loads).
<snip>

Steve