[at-l] When a tick bites in the wilderness.

Chris,

Reference your post, dated 5-21-03, asking, “... how do you check yourself
for the bulls-eye rash of a deer tick on your back and head?”

I don’t know.  It would be helpful to have someone, in front of whom you
don’t mind being naked, check you - - all over.  This could of course become
an object of some trail humor, earning you an interesting trail name.

I have included alterations excerpted from an article appearing in the New
York Times, [NYTimes.com (nytdirect@nytimes.com)], dated 5-20-03, “Fighting
Lyme Disease, With a Pinhead as the Enemy,” by Jane E. Brody.  I altered the
article, primarily through re-arranging and selective deletions, to narrow
it’s focus to the interests of Appalachian Trail Hikers.

**********

Behavioral measures intended to prevent Lyme disease are incomplete and
impractical.  Studies have NOT demonstrated that wearing protective clothing
makes a difference in the risk of developing Lyme disease.  Many people take
chances that no Lyme-carrying ticks will bite them or that antibiotics will
cure them.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports on only a minority of
Lyme disease cases, which are at a record high:  nearly 18,000 people a year
are infected.
"Short of a vaccine, I don't see how we will control this disease.”  Says
one expert.

Lyme-infected deer ticks, usually no bigger than the head of a pin, now
reign unchecked from Maryland to Massachusetts.

Small mammals like the white-footed mouse are hosts for immature ticks, and
deer are hosts and dispersal systems for adult ticks.  The deer population
is exploding, with nothing more than a short hunting season to curb their
numbers.

The main carrier of Lyme disease is the nymph of a tick (Ixodes scapularis
or Ixodes pacificus) that is no bigger than the head of a pin and able to
crawl unnoticed through the tiniest of openings, establish a resting site on
the skin and start feeding on blood without creating the slightest sensation
to warn of its presence.

The Lyme disease bacterium, a spirochete called Borrelia burgdorferi, lives
in the midgut of the tick and when a feeding tick spits out the water from
its blood meal, it can transfer the bacterium into its host.

Not until the immature tick has fed for a while and become engorged with
blood is it likely to be noticed, even by those who do daily body checks.
Seventy percent of people who contract Lyme disease don't recall being
bitten.

What you should wear to reduce the chances that a tick will find its way
onto your skin:  long socks (preferably white); long light-colored pants,
with pant legs tucked into the socks and taped shut; long-sleeved shirt, a
hat and closed shoes.  The light-colored clothing gives you a better chance
of detecting a crawling tick.

You can also use a tick repellent containing about 20 percent to 30 percent
DEET on clothing and exposed skin, but not the face.  Though most products
suggest re-application every two to three hours, a new product, Cutter Tick
Defense, contains two additional agents that the company says enhance the
degree and length of effectiveness of DEET as a tick repellent for up to six
hours.  (The product is also said to repel mosquitoes and biting flies.)

While DEET can be used safely on children occasionally — say, when taking a
hike in the woods — it is not wise to use it daily.

Another option:  Spray clothing with Permethrin, which kills ticks upon
contact.  This must never be used on bare skin, and it is not advisable for
routine use on children's clothing.

After returning from an area likely to be infested with ticks, an immediate
shower and scrubbing with a washcloth is recommended.  Clothing should be
washed in hot water after being removed at the door.

When hiking or camping, stay on wide, well-trodden paths in mature woods.

Protect and check pets that wander outdoors.  Consider giving furry dogs a
close shave from spring through fall so that you can more easily detect
crawling ticks.  Monthly applications of tick treatments for dogs during the
entire tick season can help as well.

Do daily body checks, looking closely at hairy areas and junctures between
clothing and skin (sock and underwear lines, for example).  Removing
attached ticks within a day can prevent infection.  Using fine-pointed
tweezers, grasp the tick gently nearest the skin and pull it straight out;
do not twist.  Wash your hands and clean the site with disinfectant.

**********

I have heard the “bulls-eye rash,” with which you specifically expressed
concern, is no longer a reliable indicator.  Any shape rash can result from
a Lyme-infected deer tick’s bite.  Rashes can result from non-Lyme-infected
bites, and from non-deer-tick bites.

I live in Virginia, south of the region listed in this article.  At the
height of the season, I will pick more than 100 ticks off my dog and more
than 100 additional ticks off myself during each of our daily walks.  I seem
to have developed an allergy to tick bites.  I recognize when one of the
little devils is feeding - - it hurts - - and pick him/her off.  My hope is,
I pick ticks off well before the 24 hour clock has expired.  Or, before the
tick spits out the water from its meal into me.  (It does nag at me that the
unpleasant sensation I perceive may result from the ticks water injection
into me.)

My method is, every morning, before taking a shower, I inspect myself, using
the bathroom mirror.  It is not unusual to discover ticks which weren’t
previously detected.  I reiterate the advice I first gave, it would be
helpful to have someone, in front of whom you don’t mind being naked, check
you - - all over.  It will probably be less embarrassing than being caught
"admiring" yourself with a mirror.

Steve