[at-l] USATF Announces Major Change in Hydration Guidelines

I guess this can be applied to long distance hiking also.  I have always
tried to "stay ahead of my thirst",  hydrating before I start to hike
and drinking often while hiking - via platy and hoser.  I am also a
heavy sweater.  Have I been over hydrating?  I don't think so.

Steve

From...
 http://www.usatf.org/news/showRelease.asp?article=/news/releases/2003-04-19-2.xml

<snip>
4-19-2003
BOSTON - USA Track & Field (USATF) on Saturday unveiled new
fluid-replacement guidelines for long-distance runners, as well as a
major new initiative to educate the distance-running public about how to
properly hydrate.

For athletes in general and especially for those completing a marathon
in more than four hours, USATF recommends consuming 100 percent of
fluids lost due to sweat while racing. This marks a significant change
from the understanding most runners have that they should be drinking as
much as possible and following the guideline to "stay ahead of your
thirst," which has been held as the standard recommendation for many years.
<snip>