[at-l] Hiking for causes.

>"...=93How do others here feel?=94

Being asked for money certainly can be irritating. But having been on the a=
sking
side many times -- mostly for political, land trust and trail needs I find =
it
difficult to get angry. Over the years our town land trust has acquired open
space and woodlands that will be open for public use by our children,
grandchildren and future generations forever that is worth several million
dollars. It all happened because someone asked for donations of money, or i=
n a
few cases, land.

I hate doing the asking. But I do it anyway. When I ran for the State Senate
(and lost) I rationalized my asking by figuring I was doing people a favor.=
was volunteering to work for them 12 hour a day for six months a year for an
annual salary of around $8,000.

The only way a charity can get funds for useful things is to ask for them.

 Since the needs of the Appalachian Trail are so great, I personally rarely
 contribute to trail-based fund raising efforts that seek to raise money for
 charities other than the trail itself. But I can understand why some act
 otherwise.

 Weary