[at-l] Out my lurking ways (for a while, anyway)

Well, it has been a while since I posted on this merry
little list.

Between the ongoing saga of the vision of MacKaye to
the trolls to the usual stuff (and plenty inspiration
stories of those to depart for Springer. I envy you
all!) it has been an, ah, interesting list.

In any case, I finally caught my breath (been very
busy lately..) and decided to post some new winter
pics online:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/cowint03

I did not get to do nearly as much as this past winter
due to working every Saturday (boo! hiss!), but I
started a new job where I get off at 3PM and no longer
have to work weekends. (Yay!). So I should make up
with plenty of trips this summer in Colorado. Besides,
I only went on one backpacking trip all of last
summer.   (OK..it did go from Mexico to Canada....
:-D)

Looking back at my winter pics, I realized that
hey..life is really good. And now that I have weekends
off again..well, it is even better.

I also have two mini trip reports:

Last Sunday (3/309: Went to Homestead Meadows and saw
relics of homesteads from the turn of the last
century. A bit windy...but sunny and warm. As I am a
history buff, I find this area utterly fascinating.
Did my best to play tour guide in this area for the
crew that was with me. Sitting in the remnants of an
old farm house, seeing the wind blow by and admiring
the mountains makes one realize who harsh, yet
striking, life must have been for some of our not so
distant ancestors.

This Sunday (4/6)
As anyone who has seen my photos from the past two
years, I do a lot of night hiking. About
once a month, like to put on a headlamp (or not if the
moon is full enough) and explore some place. SOmetimes
it is a small summit in the foothills of Boulder. Or
it might be a location I know well, but it is
something neat to do at night. In one case however, I
only have done it at night!
Sanitas is Boulder's "work out" mountain. Right next
to the downtown area, it is a popular place for an
after work trail run with impressive views of the
Continental Divide to the west. As mentioned though, I
have only done it at night. Until this Sunday.
Organized a DAY HIKE up Sanitas. Was a beautiful
Spring day. The sun was out, the temperatures were in
the high 70s and I was the only guy hiking with six
women. :-) Yes..beautiful day indeed... Was a nice
stroll that only took three hours. Sitting on the
summit, soaking up the warm sun (and did I mention I
was the only guy hiking with six women..just thought
I'd mention that .. :D) was a great way to spend
Sunday.  We finished in time for some of us to stroll
to downtown Boulder and grab some Mexican food for
lunch.

This weekend? Who knows... With the Rockies as a
backyard every weekend has something to look forward
to...

You all play nice.

Mags

=====