[at-l] Getting in Shape

When we started atop Springer Mar 10 last year--we were in the worst shape we
had been in several years! Preparing for our thru-hike, working extra to put as
many dollars in the bank as possible, getting the household ready to leave empty
and making arrangements for everything for both of us to be away--this all left
very little time for any "overnight" trips.  Oh--we day-hiked a little (very
little) but that was all! Being healthy but --NOT being athletic, I felt
handicapped to say the least.

We found that after the first 6-8 weeks everyone was at about the same level.
We were able to do more and more miles. Averaged 16.6 hiking miles daily on our
thru.  I did feel stronger and was not as tired as I got my hiking legs. As Big
Red said--it never got really easy.  But--it did get easier. I could fly
downhill but still struggled on the uphills.  This is the way it went all the
way to Maine! And of course, I am sure the inevitable weightloss did help!

Interestingly tho---after 2000+ miles--40# loss--I still had high blood
pressure and my cholesterol was higher than it has ever been!  So much for the
"exercise myth!"

Big Red was a great inspiration, encouragement and the BEST hiking buddy!! If
anyone had taken a vote--I am sure we'd been voted least likely to make it to
Katahdin!
All three of us agreed--if we could hike it---anyone can!

Sunrise ga-me 02

--
Sunny