Re[2]: OT "Old"? English - was [at-l] Oldest Thru Hiker??

--
In a message dated 4/14/2003 9:48:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

> It's my understanding that packages that are not addressed to a specific
> serviceman with a recognizable return address are simply being destroyed
> because
> of terrorist fears.

I'm sorry that I wasn't specific.  I guess I was suggesting that if you
started writing to anyservicemember that you would soon strike up a
friendship with a particular service member.  Therefore whatever you sent,
even cookies, would go to that particular military member, not to an
anonymous one.  Sorry for the confusion.

Given the gender of today's military, I can see where "any serviceman" would
cause confusion ;)

Seriously, though.  I'm not suggesting you send stuff to "anyone". Just that
you establish a "pen pal" type relationship with military members who either
have no family or aren't talking to them right now.  Once established,
whatever you send to them will be to someone specific.  I was just hoping
that a lot of you might be willing to act as "family" to those folks over
there fighting for us who have none - who get no letters, no care packages,
and no . . . love.

It might come as as surprise, but a lot of people, men and women, join the
military because it's the only way they can get a life.  Even if the life
they get is subject to death.  I'm just saying that there are enough people
over there without family that might appreciate correspondence and the
occassional cookie.  Sorry it was off topic, and sorry that the official word
conflicted with what I was saying. I just didn't say it well, as usual.

Red