[at-l] Re: Follow-up RE: trail related computer question

I'm coming into this late. If your firend can lay his hands on a used Apple=
 MessagePad 2000/2100 or even eMate 300 and Apple Newton keyboard (not need=
ed with the eMate) he can do pretty much any serious word processing he wou=
ld want. While it is true the Newton products are defunct he ought to be ab=
le to find a used model in decent shape and then get all the necessary tool=
s to transfer data to and from his desktop computer (if it's a Mac it's dea=
d easy; Windows is a bit tougher). For a starting point go with <www.newton=
talk.net>. A MessagePad plus keyboard will weigh just under 2 pounds. It ru=
ns on standard AA batteries. Easy to find.

The Palm handhelds have some decent word processing software but they're fl=
akey. I have lost more data on Palms then I care to think about. Data is no=
t secure on these things. If you are good about backing it up to a backup m=
odule you can do alright. Also, the moderm Palm devices all use a built-in =
lithium-ion battery that would be a pain to re-charge during a trip (you'd =
have to find an outlet or try to trickle charge it with solar power devices=
 like the iSun - iffy at best). A Palm plus a proper keyboard will weigh ab=
out a pound. Older Palm-based devices like the Handspring Visor Platinum or=
 Palm III can be gotten used or sometimes from the factory as reconditioned=
 models and they use AAA batteries.  However, none of the Palm based device=
s is nearly as sturdy as my Newton (yes, I have used both). I'd definitely =
consider taking some extra protection for a Palm-based unit if your friend =
goes that route. An Aquapax bag for exmaple <www.aquapac.net>.

SOme of the more recnet Pocket PC machines might also be worth checking out=
 but I've not used any of them.

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **
**        Ultralight backpacker   http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **