[at-l] ATC anniversary

--
Weary: ATC urges that hikers, "Learn more about this
initial meeting and the early story of the Trail in Trail History."
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/history/index.html

Thanks Weary. I hope no one will complain if I clip and paste a bit:

"The Appalachian Trail was the "brainchild" of Benton MacKaye =E2=80=94 an =
off-and-on
federal employee, educated as a forester and self-trained as a planner, who
proposed it as the connecting thread of "a project in regional planning." H=
is
proposal,  New England hiking circles, was written at the urging of concern=
ed
friends in the months after his suffragette-leader wife killed herself. "<A=
 HREF=3D"http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pdfs/MacKaye.pdf";>An
Appalachian Trail: A Project in Regional Planning</A>" (PDF, 55 KB) appeare=
d in
the October 1921 edition of the Journal of the American Institute of
Architects, at the time a major organ of the regional-planning movement.
MacKaye envisioned a trail along the ridgecrests of the Appalachian Mountain
chain from New England to the Deep South, connecting farms, work camps, and
study camps that would be populated by eastern urbanites needing a break fr=
om
the tensions of industrialization."
Some great photos on that link too.