[at-l] Got me a dehydrator

Think, did Fred or Wilma Flintstone blanch and put perservatives
on their dried granite flakes? Shush yo' mouth!

The perservatives are to keep the color from going brown while
awaiting to start the dehydrator. One choice is to slice fruit
like apples and pears, place in a bowl of lemon water and then
load the dryer. Who needs the extra step? Slice the stuff and
put it on the tray.

Blanching helps to speed the peeling process, which has some
benefit. The peel slows the drying process. However, a quick
application of the paring knife usually resolves that issue.

For the bulk of drying, just do it. Don't worry about
appearance. Just keep it clean and safe to eat. Once you have
dried it, store it in ziplocks in your freezer.

Usually, dry only the food that is in the local veggie stand,
buying the stuff about to go bad or the stuff that is super
cheap. Personally, I've still got 2 ziplocks of culled peaches
(the peaches destined for the compost heap) in my freezer. I
almost like them as much as Snickers. Also, dry stuff that has
calories. Mushrooms do not. You can buy dried mushrooms at
Costco and elsewhere in huge volume and nearly without weight.
Thet add flavor but no calories. Corn and beans are excellent
candidates given calories, protein and roughage.

But whatever you do, it will be fun. The books are only for the
Home Ec weinies, afraid to trust Fred and Wilma's expertise.
Discard such folley. Be the Flintstone!

Bill...