[at-l] prescription meds in the mail

I never knew that.  And I never followed that.  But are you likely to be
carrying controlled perscriptions?  Most likely such perscriptions would
keep you off the trail.  I mean if you have a medical condition that is so
serious that you need a "controlled" substance are you likely to be able to
hike.

Even if your meds are out of the container, why would anyone look in there?
And how would anyone know they were meds let alone perscription meds?

I am on meds for diabetes type 2 and high blood pressure.  I had meds mailed
to me and never had any trouble with them.

Of course that is only because I had tons of freebies that medical
professionals gave me to hold me while I hiked the AT.  And most of that
came about because I asked for a perscription that would last me through a
whole thru-hike.

I figure that there is always the chance that you will lose your meds.  Or
your meds will take a swim in a creek.  Or your bag will be so soaked that
the humidity might ruin meds.  So I wanted a prescription to carry along
with me.  But, the doc loaded with samples.  Then when I asked about
something for serious infections, he gave me a perscription (which he filled
with samples) for a heavy duty killer --  not something that someone would
get a kick out of.

Today certain chains have a central database and can fill your perscriptions
anywhere in their region.  I believe Wal-Grens can do it across the US.

Still, if you've got a lot of meds already, I would carry a copy of your
prescription along with you doctor's name and number on it.  Even if you do
not go into a store with it,* you can show it to anyone who askes.

Of course this is not true if you cross a national boundary.  A friend's
granddaughter, who was traveling lite, repackaged her talc.  She got a nice
tour of security in one of Europe's finer and tougher airports.

As for re-packaging them.  I would get several small baggies (like the kind
used for jewelry).  I would package them either 1) a day's supply of all
meds in one tiny baggie or 2) a few of the same kind of med in one baggie.
Then I would break the total group up into several piles and store them in a
sturdy plastic container with a tight screw on lid: I kept mine in two
places.  My "readies", I kept with my food.  And my backups with my tightly
sealed up money and traveler's checks.

William, the Turtle