From: Jim and/or Ginny Owen [mailto:spiriteagle99@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 10:01 PM
To: nealb@midlandstech.com; at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Cc: beaubushor@yahoo.com
Subject: [at-l] What to think?

William the non-ultralite Turtle wrote:
>I would never start anyone with ultra-light.

I wouldn't do that either. But I'm not talking about ultralite - more like
"mid-weight".  I see no reason to inflict the old-style heavyweight gear on
a newcomer - it'll drive them off the trail very quickly - especially if
they try to do too many miles under the load.  So - what do I call
"heavyweight?  How about anything over 35 #.

So - what do I call ultralite?  How about anything under 20#.

Ginny and I are on the lower end of the mid-range.  My pack runs about
21-25# and hers is 20-23#.  Depending on what we're doing.  And that
includes water and food for 2 or 3 days.

So - if I had lots of money and no gear, what would I buy?

Well, let's start with the pack - there's a Kelty Haiku 4250 (4250 cu, 3#
13) on sale at Sierra Trading Post for $126.  Or in the Backpacker gear
issue on page 39, there's the ULA P2 (4000 cu, 2# 5) advertised for $150.  I

have one of those and it works well for me - but mine is 40 oz because of
the "add-ons."  DO order the pack cover with it and they'll build it into
the pack.  That extra few oz is worth it.  On the same page, for $110 more
is the Mountainsmith Chimera (4200 cu, 3# 7).

Sleeping bag?  How about the Western Mountaineering Apache (20*, 2#5) for
$285. (I got mine for $110 - but that was a long while ago).  Or any of a
dozen others is the "20* under-2#" class?

Tents?  --- Well, there's the Wanderlustgear Nomad at around 2-3# depending
on the model.  There's also the Six Moon tents. I think the latest one -
which we had at the Ruck was under 2# not including the optional vestibule.

Or a half dozen other designs in the "under-3#" class built by long-distance

hikers who actually know what's needed for a long distance hike.  Most of
them in the $200 -$300 range.

The stove?  - there's nothing at all wrong with a Zip as long as you
understand the down-side and as long as you're not gonna use it in certain
places/times.  There's also nothing wrong with alcohol - even for a
beginner, as long as you understand the downside.  Either one will get you
meals for over a week for under a pound.  I used a Whisperlite for a long
time - it works.  For now we're using alcohol - with the possibility that
we'll use a Zip in some places/times in the future.

There was some mention of Titanium stuff here a while ago - we use a 2 liter

Ti pot and "with lid" it weighs half what my old stainless steel pot
"without lid" weighed.  Saves me half a pound or more.  But it WAS
expensive. That was one of our indulgences for the CDT.

That's what I mean by "light weight"  ---- The 6# pack, 5# tent and 4#
sleeping bag are overkill and unnecessary.

But then there's "ultralite".  One of our friends thruhiked the PCT with a
9# total weight pack - about 5 years ago.  There's now an informal
competition to see who can hike with the "lightest" pack.  Personally,
beyond a certain point I consider it ridiculous - as well as dangerous.  And

sometimes stupid.

Walk softly - and lightly, but not too lightly,
Jim