[at-l] Good News...

At 03:58 PM 3/1/2003 +0000, Jim and/or Ginny Owen wrote:

>Saunterer wrote:
>>Today I submitted my retirement papers.  I have =BD day left to work next
>>Monday then I go on leave to exhaust my accruals and I am FREE!!!  :) :) :)
>>:) :)
>
>Jim -
>Congratulations.  And yeah - I envy you, too.  While I hope for layoff, I
>can't afford to quit or retire quite yet.  But I'm really happy for those
>who can.
>
>So - I'll ask the question too - is this "your" year on the Trail?  Or will
>you wait for next year?  <VBG>
>
>Walk softly,
>Jim

Several have asked if I will be thru-hiking this year.  Answer, No.  I've
more or less given up that idea because I can't bring myself to leave my
wife to manage everything alone for 6 months.  That's my problem.  She'd
agree to it solely because she knows how much I'd like to and she loves me
(bless her).  Also I wasn't sure that the early retirement thing would even
happen until last Thursday so I've made no preparations.  I know, it's not
too late.  Go back and read the first reason again.

I will be doing a thru of the NPT this July (10-12 days tops) and will use
that as an equipment shake down for a 4-6 week AT section (early
fall?).  Two friends have asked me to canoe the Erie Canal with them.  My
son and his wife have invited us to spend a week in Ogunquit, ME with them
in August at a place they have a time share in and of course there is the
house which needs work.  I'm figuring two more major sections in 2004
(maybe finish?).  Retirement is going to be rough, I can tell.  :)

Saunterer