[at-l] Dogs (and Shelters)

--
In a message dated 2/26/2003 11:09:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wilderness1@starband.net writes:

> I think it is funny that someone complains that a dog gets the shelter
> dirty.
> I'm sorry, I'm a hiker who hikes to be surrounded by nature... in a tent,
> in the wilderness, not in one of the AT's shelters.
> I listen to all these comments about protecting the AT from the
> encroachment of civilization, and yet you want your civilization (shelters)
> on the trail.
>
> Thru hike the AT without staying overnight in a shelter, and THEN you earn
> my respect as a LD hiker.

With the amount of people that hike the AT, one good thing about shelters is
that they lessen the impact on the trail as a whole.  If everyone had to
tent, the trail would be more of a mess, impact wise, than it all ready is.

That said, I've found it easier to do what I have to do, and unless I'm the
first one up, (which isn't very often) to get going earlier in the morning,
when I tent.

If someone has hiked the PCT or the CDT, which have no shelters to speak of,
do they earn your respect as an LDH?

Sly