[at-l] Progress report... Bob

I feel like reaching thru the computer and delivering a
Click&Clack dope slap to Bob. He left the trail right at one of
the best boot fitters and inventories. Since he was leaving,
they could have ordered a few pair of likely boots and he could
have visited before heading over to Springer.

My suspicion is that the pack is misadjusted for his height and
the load. His mechanics of shifting the load has led to poor
mechanics of walking, making essentially all boots pretty
useless. Da' back bone is connected to da' foot bone. Dem bones.

Esbits/hexamine are nice backup but require windscreens and
assistance to provide much more than warmth (as opposed to heat)
in the cold and wet environment of February NOGA. He would have
done better with shite gas or canister fueled stoves until a bit
further into spring. I don't know what he used for matches, but
I like to use a big old bar-b-cue starter to have more flame
further away from my gloves in winter hiking. Yet, when it is
very cold, the butane is hard to light unless kept warm in a
pocket or under an arm.

I suspect that his accompanying Pittsia and company will be a
great bonus for him. He will have the opportunity to share
gearhead experiences with others, while also working on how to
readjust and change plans. If he needs perfect gear, he might as
well stay at home. He needs the ability to adjust to the
imperfections of gear, weather , the trail and self.

Bill....