[at-l] To Buy Now or Wait

>"...Truth is, having the 'perfect gear' just isn't that important.  Yes, it may
>make your hike more comfortable, but if your primary aim were comfort, you'd
>stay home.  It isn't the gear that will get you to Katahdin, it is your desire
>to keep hiking, despite whatever discomforts you encounter." reports Jim.

And he is right. No matter what gear you choose, someone else almost certainly
has successfully hiked with gear that was either no better, or, more likely,
worse.

In the years before going to Georgia to walk home, I had done a lot of weekend
and week-long backpacks in Maine, many involving three kids, ages 3-7 -- though
they got progressively older as the years went on. Kids are like that. I had
done one 280-mile, four week, backpack with a nine-year-old. I was used to heavy
packs.

When I stated on Springer 10 years ago, I had bought nothing new for the trip
except a $19 rain jacket from Campmor. My sleeping bag, less than 2 pounds, was
a down bag liner circa 1973. My pack was a Lowe Expedition (1984). My 1989 era
boots came from one of Dexter's log cabins. I forget when I bought my Zip Stove
but it was one of the earliest models powered by a C battery, rather than the
double "As" of today's models. For the two cold months, I carried a 6# Moss
tent. By June I switched to a 5-year-old 2#(?) Eureka bivy tent.

I managed to hike for six months and three days and ended on Katahdin. $800
worth of new gear might have made my walk slightly more comfortable, perhaps.
But I doubt if $800 in new gear would have allowed me to finish a day earlier or
to have done a single extra mile.

BTW. My woodlot's on the market. If it sells, I'm seriously thinking of
replacing my pack and rain jacket. All my other gear still seems perfectly
adequate.

Weary