[at-l] tick update

It is far too late to consider prophylaxis. Do you have a copy
of Jan's email with the citation for the NEJM article? If she
understood that you wanted a single pulse of Doxycycline 200 mg
orally, and that there was literature showing cost effectiveness
- she might have gone for it.

I'm guessing that you are in an HMO. The docs are trained
specifically to avoid providing any antibiotics without signs,
symptoms and cultures. In many ways, this is a good thing. Given
the fact that FL is a minimal risk area, I'd tend to agree with
her. I suspect that she heard you, but her response didn't offer
the reassurance like "I don't think there is enough risk for
Lyme disease to justify either the cost or risk of adverse
effects of an antibiotic."

Plus, you provided incorrect information. The rash is present in
40-50% of cases, and is not the only indication of disease.

Bill...