[at-l] More stove questions

Whisperlites have had a history of fuel leaks/major flame outs, but
newer models are much better [i.e., safer].  I still use mine; you can
find snowpeak and other "butane" stoves where the stove weighs only
about 2 oz, and the canisters about 8-9oz; that total weight beats a
whisperlite handily; the alcohol and esbit stoves get a lot of good
reviews, but I've never felt comfortable using them in the really cold
months, which on the AT include march/april if you are NOBO from
springer . . . your other point is well-taken . . . feeding three would
be a lot easier with the whisperlite . . . depending on re-supply
situations, one way to save weight with the whisperlite is to use the 11
oz MSR fuel bottle instead of the 22 oz bottle - I used only the 11 oz
bottle during the march/april period on the AT in 2001 and never had a
fuel problem . . . when it gets hotter, you definitely do not need a
whisperlite on the AT, but you might still want it to feed three people
on a section hike, even in summer . . .

hope this info helps - needless to say, stove preferences are to some
extent a personal choice . . .

thru-thinker