Re[2]: [at-l] Advice on starting time

 I think an April 1 start is ideal for enjoying the best of both the southern
and northern Appalachians. By April 1 the first of the spring flowers are
breaking through and the worst of winter is over. Six months later, October 1,
the New England foliage is at its peak.

 If you can't go beyond Labor Day compromises are needed. But OB's suggestion
 that you pick up the missed miles later is a good one. I by passed southern New
 England to reach Katahdin before it closed. I've never regretted that decision.

 Aside from other considerations, it provided me a wonderful excuse for
 leisurely hikes later with a variety of grand kids and relatives.

 Weary