[at-l] Might as well introduce myself as well.

>"...if anyone knows of hiking clubs or wants to get together in the NY/NJ
>area... please don't hesitate to let me know."

I suspect that there are many hiking groups in your area. The one I'm familiar
with is the New York, North Jersey Chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club.
Like all AMC chapters, they offer scores of hikes and trips each month.

 Membership costs $45 and if you use a "membership in a bottle" gimmick you get
 a free water bottle, a $10 gift certificate and other goodies.

  The last time I checked the NY/NJ membership chair was Jill Arbuckle of Little
  Falls, NJ. arbuckle@bellatlantic.net . The AMC website is www.outdoors.org .
  That site will have a link to the NY/NJ site. Yes. The Chapter calls itself
  "north" Jersey, not New Jersey.

  Weary