[at-l] Hiking & Low Carb Diets.

--

Gentlemen,
Just a comment on your post.  I am a nurse by profession and the director o=
f a cardiopulmonary rehab department.  I am involved daily with clients who=
 are facing  questions about diet and exercise.
The scientific evidence clearly points out the long term dangers involved w=
ith a "high protein" diet, including Dr. Atkins diet plan.
You can loose weight quickly on  a high protein diet.  However, you risk se=
rious complications with your kidneys and other problems if you stay on thi=
s diet too long.
There are no short cuts to a healthy body.  Exercise and a balanced diet of=
 wholesome foods are two of the keys to a healthy lifestyle.  Physical prep=
aration and a healthy balanced diet are two keys to a successful through hi=
ke as well.
As they say high your own hike!  I will add:  Eat your own diet!
Regards,
Jim Fitzgerald
 Steve Adams <stephensadams@hotmail.com> wrote: Shane,

Reference your post, dated 1-30-03, inviting me =93... to read Dr. Atkins'
book.=94

I've only read part of it.

You advised, =93He gives all the relevant references and research.=94

I observed a symposium consisting of several dieticians, including Dr.
Atkins, who had written diet books. The good doctor was scorned for
ignoring much available contradictory data.

The good part of the Atkins Diet is, it produces results quickly and
relatively painlessly. The bad part is, if his diet is followed too long
(I=92ve forgotten how long that is - - I think it=92s in the range of from =
six
months to a year), the dieter, who remains thrilled at his continued weight
loss, starves. One of the nutritionists openly accused him of being
responsible for the deaths of several people because they followed his diet
plan. None of the other dieticians disagreed with that assessment.

=93You always need SOME carbs, but nowhere near as many as most people
assume.=94

I believe you. This is especially true for people who NEED to diet: among
whom it is probably true of all types of nutrients. The problem for too
many nutritionists has been, you need more carbohydrates than Dr. Atkins
asserts.

Steve

Stay on topic!