[at-l] majority of Americans want more wilderness

Bryan wrote:

>Huh?! What are all those hydrogen plants around Cape Canaveral for?? NASA
>is
>the number one user of hydrogen and Florida is the number three producer of
>hydrogen in the US, almost all of it for NASA. Just because some balloon
>burns doesn't mean we shouldn't use hydrogen, and that disaster was caused
>by Comrade Frank's refusal to sell helium to the German's too.

LOL!!!

Yeah - some of us were privately discussing my "senior moment". I had a
brain cramp and reverted to the mid-60's.  I somehow managed to forget about
the Shuttle, Centaur and Delta IV.  But keep in mind that those beasties are
fueled by professionals who have specialized training and a LOT of safety
procedures - not by me and thee.

Lessee - the most probable cause for the Hindenburg was sabotage (read the
original investigation papers). Now - we're in a so-called "War on
Terrorism" --- do we really want the average motorist to be hauling around
what amounts to a bomb in their car?  Think about how the "average motorist"
drives that car.  And then think about how careless they get when they're
fueling it.  I've seen people smoking while they're standing next to the
pump that's running gas into their car.  Or maybe a copy cat of the
Washington sniper?  One bullet - one car.  Wonder if you could do a chain
reaction from car to car like that. Hmmm - all kinds of nasty possibilities.
  None of which I care to be around - much less call "advanced technology".

On the subject of power plant efficiency, we were hitting on 93-96%
theoretical efficiencies back in the early 60's when I was a boilermaker's
apprentice installing those powerplants. While I haven't looked lately, I'd
suspect they've improved at least a little since then.

Walk softly,
Jim