[at-l] Re: Volunteering Money "versus" Your Own Time

well said, well said - while deep down we all crave external validation
of our good deeds, the only real validation comes in the act of doing
itself . . . one other thought:  In the awesome book I am reading just
now [entitled, "Your Money or Your Life"] the authors define money as a
quantified measure of your life essence - put another way, almost all of
us have had to earn our money, and that means when we give it to a trail
oranization, land trust or other charity of our choice, we are giving a
piece of our life [i.e., a slice of our limited time here on Earth] just
as truly and specifically if we had given an identical slice of our time
volunteer-wise . . . while the real focus of the book is on using that
thought to eliminate wasteful spending in our day-to-day lives, I think
the concept of money = life essence equally applies to bring a bit of
thoughtful parity between those who elect to give the time directly and
those who give their time to earn the dollars, and then give the dollars
. . . in my book, both are awesome things to do!  The real advantage of
giving of your own time is in the opportunity to meet other like-minded
folk, and the opportunity to help make something "concrete" with your
own hands - but those should be viewed as personal rewards to the doer,
not as some kind of "extra" valuation on an external "scale of
goodness."  Goodness knows, worthy groups can always use a ton of both
money and personal time commitment. :)

thru-thinker