[at-l] 2004 GA RUCK possibility

I have received several messages =93offlist=94 regarding the facility here =
at the
Camp.  It will prob be best to answer as much as possible =93onlist=94 for
everyone=92s info.  The decision will need to be made by attendees.

Camp Thornwell is nestled in the foothills of Upstate South Carolina.  On a
Delorme map=97look for Hwy 178 above highway 11.  Put your finger on =93Bea=
sley
Mountain.=94  The Camp is 1.5 miles from that spot.
The Ruck would have use of the entire Camp facility.  Parking is no problem=
.

The "beds" (cabins) accommodate 64 and LOTS of room for tent camping. Water=
 and
electricity available. Showers/restrooms, too.

There is a huge rec room that could be used for sleeping baggers or worksho=
ps,
or ping pong, or whatever.  Nice gas fireplace, etc.

The dining hall includes a fully equipped commercial kitchen. Fridges,
dishwashers, stoves, grills, ovens, etc.  LOTS of room.  Also, a dining roo=
(chairs, tables), a "lounging area" with HUGE fireplace, sofas, seating are=
a,
tv/vcr, etc.  Good for discussions, tuckerizing, etc.  without being in som=
eone
elses space.  Rucksters can stay and talk all night, watch hiking/trail
videos,or whatever til whenever.

Outside areas include, large bonfire space, basketball courts, volleyball,
streamside benches and swing.  There is a large picnic pavilion with a giga=
ntic
grill for a =93pig roasting=94  (corn roasting for vegans)

At this time $10 per person, per night would be top dollar on a first reser=
ved
first served basis for cabin space.  Five dollars for tent space.  Thornwel=
l is
a non-profit organization for children and all donations are appreciated an=
used wisely.

The local amenities for non-hiking spouses, etc include shopping, state par=
ks,
Clemson, Brevard, Asheville, etc.

There is a beautiful twin waterfall a short distance away with a very short
walk. The Camp is less than 3 miles either way between the new Palmetto
Trail(mountains to the sea) AND the Foothills Trail,a 76 mile footpath from
Oconee State Park to Table Rock State Park.

Those desiring to HIKE to the RUCK can travel via the AT to Bartram Trail t=
Foothills Trail to Ruck  Nice little trek! Spur?

 Two and a half hours from Atlanta.  45 mins from Asheville.  Two hours fro=
Erwin,TN  60 mins from Simpsonville,SC, 90 mins from Hot Springs(NC) Nine h=
ours
from Central Florida.

Hope I=92ve answered most everyone=92s questions. I=92m sure I left out
something=97just ask.

Have a bright and sunny day!
Sunny

--