[at-l] Trip report - More training with Bob.

> Thanks for the link.  Looks like Bob is good to go.

Yep.  No worries.

> Two questions:  Is it really a good idea to pour salt
> into wounds like the one you got on your foot?   Seems
> to me like that would do too much damage to your tissues
> relative to any bennefit which would be realized
> by killing those microbes.

On surface scratches and shallow cuts that's not a concern.  On deep cuts,
you can pour salt into the wound and then flush it with water after 60
seconds, or make a salt paste - but salt in deep wounds hurt.  Puncture
wounds or wounds that penetrate a body cavity contraindicate the use of
salt.  Salt is just used as a cleaning/disinfecting agent.  You shouldn't
actually pack a wound in salt, or retain salt against a wound with a bandage
because that WILL destroy the tissues.

> Second question: Do you have any on line journals,
> pictures or remembrances of your other hiking
> adventures-- especially those that might relate to
> pesky alligators and/or hiking in the Northwest
> Territories and Alaska?

Not so many pictures, but many remembrances.  The biggest problem with
getting them online is that all of that was before I went digital.  I
haven't been north of the continental US for a few years.  All the pictures
and journals are sealed up with all the other stuff that I've got packed
away while trying to sell my house and move.  Eventually I intend to start
working my way backwards in time and scanning the pictures and posting some
journals.

Pesky alligator pictures I do have accessible and I'll work on scanning
those.  Despite all my warnings, I've only ever had a handful of troubling
run-ins with swamp lizards, and only one really bad one.

Shane