[at-l] jerky experiments

I did some experimenting too with a post-Christmas sale frozen turkey and
had great results.  I ground it,  added the spice mix that came with my
dehydrator (American Harvest), and then popped it in the oven for an hour at
160 degrees too.  Of course  now I will have to try the "chicky-jerky" too!
I am loving my new dehydrator.  Can someone tell me if the novelty will wear
off soon?  We went through 2 large bags of apples, several cuts of beef and
lots of ground meat in no time flat here...
Jackie

>>This week I tried three different combinations of three different
ingredients, all with chicken as the meat.  Please don't preach to me about
the dangers of using raw, once frozen, chicken to make jerky.  I just
decided to take the chance with whatever poisonella might be lingering in it
and went ahead and dehydrated it the same as beef.

I experimented with three ingredients; pineapple juice, soy sauce, and Cream
Sherry, in that order.  I tried a 1/1/1 ratio, a 1/2/1 ratio, and a 2/2/1
ratio for the marinade and got acceptable results with all three.  All ended
up producing a slightly sweet and sour taste which was quite palatable.  I
used boneless, once frozen chicken breasts for the meat and soaked them in
the marinade for about 5 hours before drying them on high in my dehydrator
for about 4 hours.

I also tried straight Teriyaki sauce for a marinade for the chicken and got
acceptable results with that as well.

The big finding, however, was that with all 4 of the above experiments I
greatly improved my enjoyment of the final result by sprinkling cayenne
pepper on the wet meat just before dehydrating.  It has a good flavor, and
provides just enough "kick" to make eating it like trying to eat just one
peanut, or potato chip.  It just becomes instantly addictive.  You can make
do with a very small amount of cayenne pepper, or you can really "kick it up
a notch", as Emeril would say, by adding more to suit your own tastes.