[at-l] Rests: Foam, Z, Ridge?

I concur with the dilemma of trying to roll or fold a closed cell pad into =
a size that is manageable.  However, you are not solving much by going to a=
 Z-rest over a Ridgerest, for example.

I prefer the Ridgerest if I am not going to use the 3/4 inch, Long, Ultrali=
te Thermarest inflatable mattress alone.  The Thermarest mentioned weighs a=
pprox. 2 lbs., while the Ridgerest weighs about 1 lb.  My real preference n=
ow is to combine the Ridgerest with a 3/4 length Lite Thermarest (don't con=
fuse the 3/4 inch with the 3/4 length).  The combo weighs a total of approx=
. 2 lbs., but gives you a throw down cushion for the trail and two cushions=
 to sleep on, with the Ridgerest under your body alone from about the knees=
 on down.

The Thermarests are small, and can be rolled up to a size which is only sli=
ghtly larger than a large mayonaise jar.  The Ridgerest is large, but I sol=
ve the rain cover problem by simply folding it into thirds and putting it u=
nder the rain cover.  It is not too hard to work with, and it is practicall=
y indestructable, and not too expensive, at about $20.

If you should go to the inflatable Thermarests you must take a repair kit w=
ith you for small punctures.  I've only had a puncture in one of them in ab=
out 1600 miles of hiking, but it is virtually worthless if you get a leak t=
hat you can't repair.  The repair kit does work well, however.