[at-l] size

Probably someone else will send you the ratio.  I can't find it right now.
But I've found out that a lot will depend on your determination.

Case in point.  A giant like you gave up because it was too much weight.
His girl friend, a small, short girl, kept on with the added weight of the
items she had to take make up for his not carrying the "shared" items.

Ridiculous case in point:  On top of ol' Smokey, we heard strange but
familar sounding music.  We went looking.  We found a guy with a black and
white, battery powered TV.  He was watching "Wheel of Fortune": "I can't do
without my Wheel".

My case in point: While I ditched a lot at Suches, I refused to ditch my
books: Hi, my name is Bill.  I'm a bookaholic.

Just make sure, whether going light or heavy, that you pack right.  Lots of
books will tell you how to pack.  But a lot is going to depend on the kind
of pack you have.  You don't want your weight to shift too much: Imagine
crossing a footlog when your weight suddenly shifts to your right.  Can you
say F-r-e-e-e-zing W-a-a-ter.  Along this line, snug down your cinch straps
even when it is a bother.  It keeps the weight from shifting.

Also, make sure you get a pack that fits your torso.  Each pack is slightly
different, and when I  bought my Long Distance pack, I made sure I was
fitted in a "genuine" backpacking store.  The guy at Wally World's sporting
goods section may have never been anywhere wilder than a city park -- no
matter what he says.  It is probably more important for those who are
shorter or taller than average to fit the pack to their torso.  But you can
also find the recommendations in catalogs, company literature (some online),
and books on backpacking.

Of course some people just grab a big open bag and have done okay.  But not
many.  At least not since D'nal Boone's day.  I would whole heartedly
recommend that at your height, you be fitted by someone who knows what they
are up to.

Also practice carrying weight on your back.  In the bag you are going to
carry or any old bag -- the bag you intend on carrying is best but you can
"practice" with even a bookbag.  Add a little bit of weight over time.  Not
only will it get you use to carrying weight, it will build muscles and
endurance -- especially if you increase the distance and time as well as the
weight.  And you do not have to do it on a trail.  I walked to work and
school and carried more and more weight.  I got to the point that I was
borrowing extra library books just to increase the weight: I really do not
read Cherry Ames.

William, The Turtle