[at-l] Historic topo maps: was The Historic AT Route

The historic routes of the AT have also interested me.

Here's a real neat site I found that  has copies of old US topographic maps,
in most areas covered it shows several maps for different dates, and often
both 7.5' and 15' series:

http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm

Sorry it just covers NY and New England, but there's enough there to keep
most people busy for weeks.

I sepecially like the area around Mt. Washington.  There is an 1896 version
which shows the Crawford Path going over Pleasant Dome (Mt. Eisenhower) not
around. And the Gulfside trail going over Mt. Jefferson and Mount Clay (but
around, not over Adams).  So much for modern day purity.  I know Earl
Shaffer says in his book he went over Mt. Pleasant and Mt. Adams.  And yes,
Madison Hut was there in 1896, long before the AT.

Lots of old routes there.  Maine is especially interesting.  The original
route down from Little Baldpate along Frye Brook to East B Hill Road,
missing Dunn Notch by miles.  The route following stream valleys around
Wyman and Moody Mountains to South Arm Road.  The Route up Clearwater Brook,
missing Old Blue, Elephant and the Bemis Ridge.  The Route over Old Speck
and Sugarloaf (and down what would one day be the ski slope, crossing the
road and hitting the Bigelows at The Horn, missing the Crockers altogether).
Crossing the Penobscot south of Katahdin on who-knows-what bridge just above
the falls (no Abol Bridge, no road on the north side of the Penobscot).
It's all there.

Check it out.

Pb