[at-l] Lithium Ion battery question

Jan,

You made a statement about Lithium Ion batteries suffering from cold.
Although all batteries suffer from cold to some extent, let me tell you why
I only carry Lithium Ion.

Several years ago on one of my periodic (some say idiotic) assaults upon Mt.
Washington during the months of December/January I was carrying a single
headlamp with standard Duracell Alkaline batteries. Because of weight
considerations, there was NO backup except an extra set of batteries.

Imagine my surprise and confusion when I turned on the headlamp at dusk and
it was stone cold dead (excuse the pun). Strange, those were brand new,
never used batteries. Okay, change batteries. Voila! Uh oh... a week dim
glow lasting all of about ten seconds and that set was dead too.

It has been my experience that Lithium is the LEAST affected by cold of the
various types of batteries on the market. I think if you look at the various
mountaineering newsgroups (as opposed to backpacking), you will find general
agreement on this.

Lee I Joe