Re[2]: [at-l] Genuineness of Contemporary Thru-hikes

>"...I am curious what percentage of people we hear have "Through Hiked the AT"
>fall into each of these categories." asks Rick.

My hike was scenario five, which is why I've never seriously considered
registering with ATC as a 2000-miler. I was mildly tempted, just to let people I
had met on the trail know that I had made it to Katahdin, but resisted, partly
out of conscience, partly because WF would have thought I cheated.

I think ATC should revise it's criteria to allow scenarios one through four to
qualify for a 2000-miler patch. At the very least, the hiker who walks either on
the white-blazed trail or on blue-blazed side trails built by maintaining clubs
to highlight the special scenic, natural, or historical aspects of there
regions, should qualify. Most of these involve longer or more difficult walks,
but regardless, they should be considered part of the "official trail" without
requiring backtracking.

Now the hiker that misses a half mile of white blazes in order to see the bottom
of Dunn Notch Falls in western Maine doesn't qualify -- nor does the hiker that
takes the 7 mile loop along the rim of Gulf Hagas qualify.

Weary