[at-l] Taxing Food For Thought . . .

That tax break only partially compensates for the shipping costs generally,
so I don't think its that big a deal. If that was the only advantage
internet store fronts had then they would never get off the ground. But they
usually have other advantages, first they carry or at least can ship a
vastly greater range of products than your average local shop, I don't think
Joe's Hike Shop is going to compete with Campmor on product selection. They
probably have breaks in insurance and maybe local taxes ( since they can
pick their physical location, South Dakota frex). They probably have more
size selections, its rough finding the right item but not finding your size.
And they may have more knowledgable employees to advise you during the
ordering process. And they can have great sales and get the word out about
the good prices, I assume manufacturers are more likely to fund a REI sale
since REI might sell 1000 of their items.

So it isn't just price.

Bryan

"Si vis pacem para bellum"