[at-l] Pack buying - Some Food For Thought re Your Local Outdoor Shop and...

--
In a message dated 12/30/2002 12:04:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
chaynes@megalink.net writes:

> I don't buy from local shops any more. There isn't any advantage around
> here. The help isn't hired because they really know anything, they were
> hired because they look good. Most of the shops around here got there
> experience out of Backpacker Mag. or from Hiking mail lists.

LOL..

I know I've mentioned this before, but I applied for a job at an outfitter
once and it seemed like hiking the AT and half the PCT wasn't good enough,
they wanted someone with retail experience.  It didn't matter that every job
I had up until that point was dealing directly with people, including door to
door sales.

Well, I got the retail experience now, along with a few thousand more miles,
maybe I'll try to find a job at the local outfitters.  Can you make ANY money
doing that?  I don't need much...

Maybe it's my appearance!

Sly