[at-l] Near-Winter hiking, was Winter Hiking

One thing always to keep in your mind while winter hiking is that it can get
dangerous unpredictably and rapidly. The case of the fellow up in the whites
should be a warning that cold weather hiking can turn deadly.

This is not to say that you shouldn't do it but you must pay close attention
to what your body is telling you. Your toes are cold all day? Think
frostbite before its too late. You start shivering, stop and set up your
tent and climb in your bag to warm up.

In clear cold weather dehydration can be a problem too, you need to drink
plenty of fluids. Another trick is if your hands start getting cold, despite
wearing gloves then use some spare socks over your hands. In higher
altitudes sunburn is a real problem on snowpack.

Bryan

"Si vis pacem para bellum"